What It Takes To Be A CNA
All careers require a specific set of skills and competencies in order to successfully and efficiently complete certain job related duties. If you’re considering or actively pursuing a career as a Certified Nursing Assistant, you might be wondering: What does it take to be a CNA? In order to answer this question, we’re laying out some of the expectations a CNA will encounter on the job and the qualities a good CNA should possess.
Common CNA Tasks:
- Bathe, dress, and assist patients in daily activities
- Asses the physical state of patients (i.e. checking temperature, blood pressure, other vital signs)
- Maintain reports on the health of patients
- Administer patient medications and treatments, clean and dress wounds
- Responsible for feeding patients and maintaining cleanliness of patient’s quarters
- Keeping doctors and/or family members briefed on the status of patients
- Interact on a daily basis with patients and other medical staff
Skills & Characteristics a good CNA should possess:
- A well founded knowledge of medical terminology
- Understanding of safety protocols in a healthcare environment
- Expert written and verbal communication skills
- A suitable level of physical fitness
- Proficient in the use of basic medical equipment
- Enjoy helping others
- Compassionate and kind-natured
- Flexibility in the work environment and ability to work with a team
- Excellent organizational skills
These are just some of the competencies you’ll find necessary in a career as a CNA. Some of them will develop over time as you gain on-the-job experience, while some of them are essential from the onset. Not everyone is meant to be an astronaut or teacher or lawyer, and similarly, not everyone is cut out to be a CNA. But just like other careers, it’s a job that comes with big challenges, but also it’s fair share of big rewards – such as working with your healthcare team to help patients reach an optimal level of health in their lives. If these seem like aspects that you look for in a career, you may work well as a Certified Nursing Assistant.
Contact us today at 407-777-9778 or info@GabrielHealth.org for more information on GHI’s fast track CNA programs.
Connect with Gabriel Health Institute: